CHEF PATRON, MARCUS
Celebrate the best of British spring produce with Chef Patron, Mark Froydenlund’s, Wild Garlic & Saffron Lamb recipe.
Combining an iconic springtime meat and herb, this dish is the perfect centrepiece for all of your entertaining this season.
WILD GARLIC VELOUTÈ
300g picked wild garlic leaves – no stems
750ml chicken stock
150ml whipping cream
90g butter, cold and diced
1. Divide the garlic leaves into two lots.
2. Combine the chicken stock and cream, bring to a rapid boil and season with salt.
3. Cook one half of the wild garlic in the boiling cream and stock for 2 minutes.
4. With the second half, slice the leaves very finely (the finer the better!).
5. After the first half is cooked, remove from the stock and reserve the liquid, then place the leaves into a food blender.
6. Puree with the sliced leaves until smooth.
7. Once smooth, slowly add back into the liquid.
8. Finally, add the butter piece by piece to finish the sauce and give it lovely silky, rich finish.
9. Chill over ice and reheat just before serving.
SAFFRON & TOMATO LAMB SHOULDER
1 spring lamb shoulder, bone in
60ml rapeseed or sunflower oil
1 onion, quartered
1 bulb of garlic, halved
2g cumin seeds
1 sprig of thyme
3 bay leaves
30g tomato puree
2l chicken stock
800g Jersey Royal potatoes, cleaned
300g baby vine tomatoes
1. Season the meat and lightly colour in a deep ovenproof dish using the oil.
2. Carefully remove the lamb and lightly colour the onion and garlic in the same pan.
3. Add the cumin and saffron and toast lightly.
5. Add the tomato puree and deglaze the pan with the Madeira.
6. Reduce the Madeira by half and then add the lamb back to the pan.
7. Add the stock, bring to a gentle simmer and then cover with a tight fitting lid.
8. Place in a preheated oven at 160℃ and braise for 2 hours.
9. Carefully remove from the oven after 2 hours, add the Jersey Royal potatoes and tomatoes and stir in.
10. Return to the oven for another 40 minutes, or until the potatoes are cooked and the meat is falling from the bone.
11. Reheat the wild garlic sauce and serve.