HEAD CHEF, THE GILBERT SCOTT
Get into the full swing of spring and recreate Head Chef, Dan’s glorious Wild Garlic Soup, as featured on The Gilbert Scott’s A La Carte menu.
A light, fragrant and flavoursome dish, it is the perfect starter for all of your springtime entertaining.
1 leek, sliced
3 sticks of celery
3 bay leaves
4 thyme sprigs
6 parsley stalks
400g wild garlic stalks
500g onion thinly sliced
250g Jersey Royal potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced
8g picked thyme
1l of the milk infusion
400g wild garlic leaves (stalks reserved for milk infusion)
Bring everything to the boil and simmer gently for 1 hour.
1. Melt the butter in a pan, add the onions and a good pinch of salt and cook gently until very soft.
2. Add the potatoes and thyme and continue to cook for a few minutes whilst stirring.
3. Add the milk and simmer until potatoes are fully cooked.
4. Add the garlic leaves and blitz in a jug blender until smooth.
5. Season with freshly ground pepper and salt if needed.
The photograph shows the soup served with a thin slice of toasted bread with goat’s curd, lemon jam and smoked egg yolk, but a toasted slice of sourdough is just as good!